Tuesday, April 7, 2015

DIY Dishwasher Detergent


















Who doesn't love a tutorial that actually turns out the way it's touted? I found a DIY dishwasher detergent and made a batch. Even though the glasses were a little cloudy and speckled with automatic dishwasher memorabilia (the glass on the left), I asserted to my unimpressed family that this dishwasher detergent was natural and better for us than the store bought; however, behind closed doors, I agreed with them and was about to say "uncle" when I came across suggestions to improve the detergent. 

I ditched some things and added others and now have a recipe that leaves the dishes spotless (the glass on the right). It's easy to make, more economical than commercial detergent, and is better for you and the environment. (Do not use this on fine china or silverware, something we don't have to worry about.)

So, here it is:

1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
5 packets unsweetened lemonade or 1/4 cup citric acid
1/4 cup Oxyclean

Mix together and keep in an airtight container. Use one tablespoon per load, plus a squirt of liquid dish detergent. And when the load is done, you can show off your spotless dishes.

If you have hard water (which will leave a milky film on your glasses), add 1/2 cup kosher salt to the recipe. Also, I tried the citric acid, but  prefer the lemonade.

Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

(For natural bath and body products, check out my Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/AlphaOmegaSoaps )


No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative