Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Like a Million Bucks~


--is how my cat makes me feel. My husband will argue that Chambo is useless: he meows to go out and come in a dozen times an hour; awakes us early weekend mornings to be fed; snuggles on his terms; stretches across the bed so I find myself sleeping scrunched up; occupies Meisje's bed, impeding her comfort...
     But he makes me feel special: he's the first to greet me when I arrive home; wherever I am, it's not long before he's there, too (although, he acts like he'd be there anyway); he purrs loudly and looks at me with eyes at half mast with contentment as if there's no other place he'd rather be.
     And our dog. She thinks we got her as a watch dog, so, until she lost some hearing, she'd dutifully bark full throttle with fur standing on end until all danger had passed every time Brad arrived home from work. Not so when solicitors or Jehovah's Witnesses came by, though. She thinks she's earned her keep and is enjoying her retirement years. No more frantic barking.
     Yes, there's fur and dander, chewed shoes and furniture, accidents, vet appointments, grooming and food bills, but the benefits...
     Pet owners have: 
*a decreased risk of asthma and allergies (ironic, I know); 
*reduced stress and increased feeling of contentment and relaxation;
*a lower risk of having a fatal heart attack;
*lower blood pressure and cholesterol;
*a more active lifestyle.
     The day after a friend's father passed away, a dog started visiting the widow's house daily. Grace has never seen the dog before, yet the dog lay at Grace's feet as if she'd done it a thousand times before. I bet that pup made Grace feel like a million bucks.
     
Sources:
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/6-health-benefits-of-having-pets.html

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/features/health-benefits-of-pets- See more at: http://www.alphaomegasoaps.com/blog/like-a-million-bucks#sthash.CJXzvwXU.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative